Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Radio Chappy 77.7FM





What a ride this missions life is. You never know what is going to happen. I have been asking for prayer for this volunteer radio announcing job of Iruma's only Radio Station called Chappy Radio 77.7 FM. This is a city run radio station that has a few staff and a few volunteers who host shows ranging from cooking to talk to the F.B.I (Foreign Broadcast Information) hour. This is a one hour a week program on a Tuesday night from 7-8pm that I will broadcast city news and announcements. I can play some music from anything I choose. The current DJ plays a wide range of stuff from the 40's to disco to currents Celine Dion. They have a small library of secular songs. I will be able to bring my own songs to record (I hear some Smithfield coming or maybe some Travis T from CCT?). I was not sure if I should take this opportunity but we have been praying for opportunities to connect with the city and community and I haven't sought this job. I was going to turn it down thinking I'd have to do a lot of paper work. Then the DJ (Rodney Bradish) came out and picked me up today and we went to the studio and we recorded a standard weekly program. During the program he interviewed me and I told him straight up I am here as a missionary to serve the Lord. Come to find out he is active in his episcopalian church and has a ministers license. So we had a good time. He is flying more under the radar in his role and runs a very tight ship there. I don't know if my level of discipline is going to compare. Anyway he announced that I was the new DJ taking over the radio program at the end of September. I was shocked but there you have it. I called a friend and asked what should I do? He counseled, "if you seriously have prayed for God to open a door and one opens shouldn't you go through it? Just see what happens. If they fire a volunteer DJ what harm has been done? So, I guess I will have to learn the ropes and become a DJ. Pray that I can just be who I am. I will abide by the guidelines and perform the required duty but I just want to please God who has opened this opportunity and not compromise my testimony. My hope and desire is to get to know the community here. There is one picture of the office for planning the programs out and in the bottom there is a parting shot of Rod the DJ. It litterally is a parting shot of the part of his hair. Anyway, Mihoko met some of the same mom's we met the other day and they had good conversation. Talk to you soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Will either a simulcast or an archive of your shows be available on the Internet?