Sunday, October 17, 2010

Saiboku -- MMMMM Bacon

We went a while ago to Saiboku. It is a glorified pig farm. Although we only saw three pigs were were assured there were more somewhere. When we went into the main gift shop we met most of their relatives all wrapped in plastic shoved inside sausages. We wanted to actually see the sausage making procedure but it didn't happen. My family had a garage door company when I was a kid and every so often we'd get a job at Farmer John's in downtown LA. Not a fun place to go. Especially, if the doors on the slaughter house needed work. The smell was horrendous. The mess was phenomenal. The cattle cars on the train tracks were lined up outside and one by one they all went in and non came out. I know this all sounds gross and sad. But here in Japan it is all cute. Like everything else.
They can take a very stressful subject and just candy coat it with all kinds of cute. They even had a disturbing sign that said, "No parts of the pig are wasted." And then they proceeded with pig manga to show how the skin was used for bags and clothing and how the waste material was used in fertilizing the fresh vegetables that were on sale in the store. I wasn't very hungry for salad after that. But I still was longing for a big bratwurst or kielbasa sausage. But there were none. Yes folks there were no spicy German summer sausage no Chorizo. It was a big let down to say the least. But the kids had fun and I met some unusual characters who didn't say anything. It is hard to have a one way conversation with someone when they just laugh at you and say nothing. We didn't buy any meat as the prices were at a huge all time tourist in your face high. I know I am sounding pathetic but I was so dissapointed in the siborg saiboku place.



No comments: