Monday, April 7, 2008

chocolate cookies

Mihoko is in Japan and hitting the ground running with appointments and all. The kids and I were enjoying the day together. Ken Sutton had a great message on the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. We came home and made Chocolate cookies. I could have bought cookies cheaper than it cost to make them. You see a friend gave us 3 bags of chocolate chips. We are reducing our inventory in preparation for moving to Japan so I thought let's just bake a whole bunch of cookies. Well we needed sugar and butter, no more than a few dollars. But when a man goes to the store he can't just buy what he needs he also has to get those items he has been meaning to buy but really doesn't need. I spent $30 on junk. Popcorn, Apricot-pineapple jelly ($5), Rachel had to go to the bathroom and there was a clearance shelf. Dangerous place to be. They had a $5 box of cereal for a $1.35 because the box was damaged. Anyway, the cookies turned out fine but I realized that it cost me. Yet the time spent with my kids was priceless. As we each...even Jane measured out each ingredient they had the wide eyes of excitement and expectation of good tasting cookies. The sampling of the ingredients was a great lesson to let them know and understand the world of cooking is really about smoke and mirrors. I mean vanilla smells great but have you ever tasted real vanilla extract. Blah! Although there wasn't much deception with the Sugar and butter and more sugar and the chips and more sugar. I was surprised they went to bed but I think it was a massive sugar rush that made them crash. Tomorrow we dis the piano and two book shelves. It is a great feeling to see big items depart. I still get a small lump in my throat as if I am about to go over the top of a really fast roller coaster and you want to scream. I am so excited about Mihoko in Japan that I checked my email continuously. I was gluded to the computer but nothing yet. She'll probably contact me tomorrow I hope. She may be having so much fun that she doesn't remember she has a family back here. Hmmm. Not! I think?

No comments: