Sunday, March 30, 2008

Japanese churches are busy

I have received several recordings from a friend of an old Calvary pastor's teaching in Japan. Pastor Mike Kohama was one of the first verse by verse Calvary expositional teachers. The Recordings are okay but the back gound noise is very distracting. I was amazed at how spoiled we are here at CCCM with Chucks decision to make the sanctuary as quiet as possible to allow the Holy Spirit to speak to the hearts of the people. The kids are put into classrooms and those parents who are insistent that they must sit with their kids go to the family room. In most of the churches in Japan you can't do that because of the small space and the lack of teachers to facilitate children's programs. Even in the bigger churches the Pastor must be patient as parents seem to want to be apart of the whole with their screaming kids some even walk around the church bouncing their kids and make the sound of a choo choo train..."shoo, shoo, shoo, shoo". My legalistic mentality has be become more flexible to allow for this in some cases and not become so rigid that Families feel I am anti-kids. I love kids I have 4 of them one in heaven alive. But kids cannot be the controlling influence and distract and disrupt the Holy Spirit. Some families treat the kid as the center of the Universe. Everything revolves around Juniors nap, feeding, and tantrums. When kid number 2 arrives then a new center of the Universe comes and kid number one as I have observed recently in another family, becomes an orbiting satellite who when close enough to the new child can be hostile and violent jeopardizing the health and safety of the new born. Jesus is the center. And I believe a church service should reflect that. I have a lot to learn about Japanese society and about getting rid of my American bias and centering on the Word of God and direction of the Holy Spirit.

No comments: