Sunday, August 2, 2009

With God Nothing is Impossible


I used to practice preaching when I was a kid. I have always admired the art of excellence in public oratory. To see men of God take the stories of the Bible and make them come alive and bring application into our lives is what rocks my world. I have studied the Bible for years and I have participated in numerous Bible studies over the years. I have preached in the best Calvary's in Japan so I thought I'd be prepared for the first day of preaching at Calvary Chapel Iruma. I had my message ready and pouring over it. Yet even though there was only a handful of people there I was tremendouly nervous. I was stepping into the dream now made a reality by the Living God Jesus Christ. He has brought me to Japan and throughout my life has guided my steps. I have a history of seeing the Lord move me in this direction as if he had it planned all my life. It is funny how for years others saw the Lord's leading in my life and knew it matter-of-factly that I'd go to Japan and start a church. I'd say I don't know what God is doing? Then they would shake there heads and point out all the indicators of God's leading and they'd see it but I'd be like a deer in the headlights. I see the light but I am trying to make out the silouette behind the lights. Today was a great day. Don't let my rehtoric dissapoint you. It was tremendously a blessing and smooth to conduct service. But in my emotions were on edge holding back tears of joy for what God has done. It was just four years ago when I was sitting at a hospital bed of my 4 year old daughter with her chest wide open from the heart transplant. I was depressed at the life ahead. I actually was praying for God to take her to heaven for a better life. It was a selfish prayer and I am ashamed of myself for it. Yet here she was alive and give the gift of life with a heart transplant. But my sterotyping of life after a transplant was limited. I felt the quality of life was hampered by visits to the Doctor and emergency room runs. I thought we were going to be hermits living in a steril enviroment away from real life. I gave up on all my ministry goals and aspirations. I should have been the happiest man alive as my daughter was recovering from a heart transplant but I was the one with a sick heart in need of a transplant from my selfishness. God in his mercy met me at a Men's retreat and the Holy Spirit was poured out in my life afresh. We were educated about the life of Post-Transplantation. We are free but must play by some rules to maximize the benefits of a PT life. Risky behavior is what jepordizes our quality of life. The same for a Christian if we live a life of risky behavior we jepordize our quality of life with Jesus and our walk in the Holy Spirit. I became convoluted in my mind and thinking but when I got my eyes off my self and on Jesus I was revived and God graciously continued to open doors of ministry. It is God and God alone that has allowed us to come to Japan and minister. So today as I stood in the pulpit and realized all that the Lord has done to bring us here I was emotionally choking back the tears of Joy. From my prayer in front of my daughters hospital bed to my prayer this morning in front of the church the Lord has been faithful. I give him all the glory and praise. I preached this morning if they were to look to me or my talents they will be dissapointed but if they look to Jesus and his ability then "Nothing is impossible with God." Luke 1:37

No comments: