Saturday, April 4, 2009

Can Preachers be guilty of Professional Negligence?

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20090404a5.html
The Japan Times is reporting the death of a woman who fell into a sink hole and drown. The police are investigating this as a potential crime. "The police may look to establish a case against the operator of the golf course on suspicion of professional negligence resulting in death." A Family is mourning their mother who died by falling into this hole. I was stopped while reading the comment of the reporters saying, "Professional negligence resulting in death." The golf course people weren't aware of the leak that led to the sink hole; or were they? Didn't they know the sprinklers on the other part of the course weren't working? Or that water pressure had dropped. There had to be signs to show the erosion of soil and the potential death that can result.

Mat 14:30 But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me.

Psa 69:2 I sink in deep mire, where [there is] no standing: I am come into deep waters, where the floods overflow me.

So many times as ministers of the gospel we can miss the signs of one who is sinking or we can see them and then not act. The later is the most dangerous that I fear we may be held accountable for. When someone cries for help are we not to be the hand to catch them? Hey I gave that message on how to swim...didn't you listen...just get the CD or podcast... I think in the business of ministry we can easily overlook the dangers of sheep and staff sinking into the mire and die in their faith. I think of the thousands of church secretaries around the globe who go unnoticed day in and day out often the hub of the church centers around the secretary and when signs go unnoticed they can sink into despair and find themselves drowning in a flood of circumstances that can bring about death in the joy of serving the Lord. Pastors and Christian workers need to be vigilant in checking the signs and being there to lend a hand to pull them up out of the mire. Many faithful ministers loose great saints to ministry floods because there are no emergency procedures. No life rafts or back up plans...Just a shrug saying well they should have cried out for help. Sadly the lady on the golf course cried out but there were none to save her and the family watched helplessly as she drowned. This is sobering for me. When the Lord tells me to lend a hand to someone in need and if I make a plethora of excuses as to how busy I am I wonder if as a minister of the Gospel of Jesus I am "Guilty of Professional Negligence? Something to think about?

No comments: